Boating and canals

* Mooring only. Some restrictions may apply in national parks.

warning_iconPlease note:

The impact of 2017 and 2019 events continues to affect Georgian Bay Islands and Thousand Islands national parks. Dock damage was extensive and replacements are ongoing. We encourage visitors to plan their visit in advance and review updates and status of facilities at the links below.
Georgian Bay Islands National Park:
Thousand Islands National Park:

info_iconAdditional details:

St. Peter's Canal (Nova Scotia) and Sault Ste. Marie Canal (Ontario) National Historic Sites do not require a lockage permit for recreational vessels.
It is not possible to order a permit online for a vessel over 84 feet (25.6 metres) in length. To order a seasonal lockage permit or seasonal overnight mooring permit for such a vessel or a commercial ship, please contact either Ontario Waterways at, or Quebec Waterways at For more information, please contact Parks Canada’s National Information Service at 1-888-773-8888 or


Permit Price per Foot of Vessel Length
Seasonal Mooring Permit $9.80
Seasonal Lockage Permit $8.80
Seasonal Lockage Permit for canoe and kayak $8.80   $4.40
Six-Day Lockage Permit $5.05
One-way Transit Lockage Permit $4.65
Seasonal Lockage and Mooring Package $18.60

Seasonal Mooring Permit

Parks Canada offers a seasonal mooring permit allowing mooring at seven national historic canals, two national parks*, and one national marine conservation area. Mooring is on a first-come, first-served basis and space cannot be guaranteed during peak periods. No reservations accepted. Maximum mooring times vary by location. Certain restrictions may apply at national parks.

Seasonal Lockage Permit

This permit is valid for the entire navigation season, and allows passage through any number of locks at all national historic canals across Canada.

Six-Day Lockage Permit

This product offers some of the same advantages as the Seasonal Lockage Permit, but is intended for people who only require six days of lockage (consecutive or not) in a season. Excellent value for anyone with fewer days available to spend on the water.

If you plan on navigating Parks Canada’s locks on more than six days in a season, the Seasonal Lockage Permit may be the best option for you.

One-way Transit Lockage Permit

This permit allows the boater to travel through the entire Trent-Severn Waterway or Rideau Canal system on a one-way passage. Boaters looking to make a return trip or pass through both systems should opt for the Seasonal Lockage Permit.

Seasonal lockage and mooring package

This package includes lockage and mooring permits and gives you unlimited access to national historic canals and national parks listed above for the entire 2019 navigation season.


(  1 - 6 of 6  )