Why should I get a Parks Canada 2017 Discovery Pass?

The 2017 Discovery Pass provides you with free admission for the entire year to all Parks Canada places from coast-to-coast to coast. Order your pass before your arrival and experience faster entry and greater convenience.

Which sites will offer free admission in 2017?

Canada is lucky to have a multitude of parks and historic sites throughout the country. Parks Canada doesn't manage all parks and only a number of national historic sites. See the full list of Parks Canada places before you visit to avoid any confusion.

  • Admission to all national parks, national historic sites and national marine conservation areas operated by Parks Canada (day use and front-country use) will be free;
  • Lockage at the seven canals administered by Parks Canada on historic waterways will be free.
Is everything in Parks Canada locations free in 2017?

Only admission and lockage will be free in 2017. Fees for services and goods such as camping and firewood, special interpretation programs, reservation fees, soak fees at hot springs or overnight backcountry use will remain. Likewise, mooring fees for boats will still be in effect. Visit your favourite place’s website for all the details.

I am part of the Travel Trade – where can I find information about free admission for my clients in 2017?

As much as possible, Parks Canada will be taking a “business as usual without the payment” approach for the travel trade to help ensure a smooth transition through this exceptional year. You can find more information in the Travel trade section of our website.

How long does my pass or permit take to arrive by mail? If I order online, can I go to a participating location immediately?

When you order a pass or permit online or by phone, Parks Canada will ship your order as soon as possible. First-class shipping is included free of charge!

If you are concerned that your order may not arrive before you depart for your visit, don’t worry! You can also get your 2017 Discovery Pass or boating permit(s) upon arrival at your destination.

If you are traveling within 6 weeks it is recommended that you obtain your pass or permit upon arrival.

Where can I get my Discovery Pass or boating permit?

Parks Canada visitors who prefer to order a Discovery Pass or boating permit in advance of their visit can order online. Visitors can also get a Parks Canada Discovery Pass upon their arrival at any Parks Canada location.

Boating permits are available upon arrival at participating locations.

I have a 2016 Discovery Pass; do I need to get a 2017 Discovery Pass?

2016 Discovery Pass holders do not need anything else to visit in 2017. Your 2016 Discovery Pass is valid through 2017 and beyond – check your pass for your specific 2018 expiry date as it varies depending on when you purchased it.

Can I order a pass or permit for someone else?

Yes. You can order up to five 2017 Discovery Passes in a single transaction online or over the phone, and passes are also available upon arrival.

Please note that if you are purchasing a lockage and/or mooring permit for someone else, you will need to have their vessel length and vessel registration number, as indicated by Transport Canada.

Do I need a 2017 Discovery Pass for each member of my group or family if we are all traveling together?

A 2017 Discovery Pass is valid for everyone arriving in the same vehicle at a national park, or arriving together at a marine conservation area or historic site.

For how long is my pass or permit valid?

The 2017 Discovery Pass is valid from January 1st 2017 to December 31st 2017.

2017 seasonal lockage and mooring permits are valid for the entire 2017 navigational season.

Can I transfer my boating permit?

Lockage and mooring permits are not transferable. Mooring permits are sold for specific vessels and are rendered void if resold. The value of an existing permit can be applied to a new permit for boaters who change vessels within the same season.

How do I display my pass or permit?

The 2017 Discovery Pass should be hung from the rear view mirror of the vehicle or placed on the front driver side dashboard when visiting a national park and must be presented by hand at the entry kiosk when visiting a national historic site.

Seasonal Lockage and Mooring permits:

Please display your Seasonal Lockage and/or Mooring permit decal according to the following guidelines:

  • Sailboats: affix permit to the bottom of your mast, facing the bow
  • Powerboats: affix permit to the bottom of windshield, in the middle, facing the bow
  • Dinghies: affix permit to the inside of transom, facing the bow
What do the letters and numbers on my boating permit refer to?
2017Seasonal Lockage Permit
2017 Seasonal Mooring Permit

Seasonal lockage and mooring permits show the 2-digit year of the navigation season of validity, along with the vessel length in feet.