Boating and canals

Do you love to travel by pleasure boat or canoe? Launch your own adventure along Canada's original highways. Going through the locks, you'll appreciate the "cutting-edge" engineering technology – from over 150 years ago! Immerse yourself in the beautiful landscapes, fascinating stories and lively local culture. Here's your chance to create unforgettable memories, surrounded by the sights and sounds of Canada's waterways.

Parks Canada lockage and mooring permits are valid at the following locations. For more information, including fees and schedules, please click the links below:

Chambly Canal National Historic Park

Chambly Canal National Historic Park

* Mooring only. Some restrictions may apply in national parks.

St. Peter's Canal (Nova Scotia) and Sault Ste. Marie Canal (Ontario) National Historic Sites do not require a lockage permit for recreational vessels.


Permit Price per Foot of Vessel Length
Seasonal Overnight Mooring Permit $9.80
Seasonal Lockage Permit $8.80
Six-Day Lockage Permit $5.05
One-way Transit Lockage Permit $4.65
Lockage and mooring package $18.60

Permit Description

Seasonal Overnight Mooring Permit

Parks Canada offers a seasonal mooring permit allowing overnight mooring at seven national historic canals, two national parks*, and one national marine conservation area. Mooring is on a first-come, first-served basis and space cannot be guaranteed during peak periods. No reservations accepted. Maximum mooring times vary by location. Certain restrictions may apply at national parks.

Seasonal Lockage Permit

This permit is valid for the entire navigation season, and allows passage through any number of locks at all national historic canals across Canada.

Six-Day Lockage Permit

This product offers some of the same advantages as the Seasonal Lockage Permit, but is intended for people who only require six days of lockage (consecutive or not) in a season. Excellent value for anyone with fewer days available to spend on the water.

If you plan on navigating Parks Canada’s locks on more than six days in a season, the Seasonal Lockage Permit may be the best option for you.

One-way Transit Lockage Permit

This permit allows the boater to travel through the entire Trent-Severn Waterway or Rideau Canal system on a one-way passage. Boaters looking to make a return trip or pass through both systems should opt for the Seasonal Lockage Permit.

Seasonal lockage and mooring package

This package includes lockage and mooring permits and gives you unlimited access to national historic canals and national parks listed above for the entire 2018 navigation season.

warning_iconPlease note:
It is not possible to order a permit online for a vessel over 84 feet (25.6 metres) in length. To order a seasonal lockage permit or seasonal overnight mooring permit for such a vessel or a commercial ship, please contact Parks Canada’s National Information Service at 1-888-773-8888 or

Products: (  1 - 5 of 5  )